The Arts Council of the Central Okanagan believes that the arts are the soul of every community and make a significant contribution to their social, physical, and economic well-being. Committed to providing on-going support to the development of the arts in the Central Okanagan, ARTSCO continues to advocate community arts education and arts awareness by providing and supporting artistic programming , events and opportunities.
ARTSCO’s diverse programming addresses a wide variety of interest areas, which include: children, youth groups, students, families, businesses, and educational institutions. ARTSCO’s community programs and events span all art forms, such as visual, literary, performing, and music.
Number of people that are targeted: approx. 345,000
Number of people that will participate: approx. 2,175 per annum
Number of people that will benefit from programming and the services it provides: approx. 345,206
- Provides an educational experience, which helps to foster an interest in the artistic process and the place it has in all our lives.
- Helps to fill a serious gap in the education of how lives are enriched through the knowledge and awareness of the arts.
- Promote recognition that all the arts are a significant component of our region and our society, and contribute to the public awareness about the quality and diversity of all art created in our communities.
- Turns Kelowna’s Downtown Core into an Art Gallery, which allows visitors to experience the work of local artists in an innovative and fun way.
- Provides a new and different exhibition opportunity for artists.
- Sparks conversation about the cultural engagement opportunities of art for the community.
- Strengthens the relationship between local businesses and arts.
- Recognizes individual students for their outstanding achievement in the arts.
- Provides financial support to further education in the arts.
- Serves to underline the importance of the arts to the people and communities in the Okanagan.
- Recognizes individuals and groups for their outstanding achievement in the arts; for their significant contribution to the arts; or to their noteworthy support of the arts.
- Encourages those who are instrumental in ensuring the arts survive and thrive in the Okanagan Valley.
- Provides exciting opportunities for exploration, participation, and enjoyment for all ages and all levels of art and cultural knowledge and experiences.
- Encourages artists to present new and original creations, to share cultural diversity through artistic expression, and to celebrate global artistic contributions through performance, education, and display.
- Honours our cultural heritage through the sharing of indigenous values and philosophies.
- Increases access to the arts and awareness of our community’s cultural diversity while providing sustainability to our local arts organizations.