Position: Market Coordinator 2019 – 30-35 hours a week
Type: seasonal, mid June – end of August 2019 – Canada Summer Jobs Program
Organization: Arts Council of the Central Okanagan
Location: Rotary Centre for the Arts, 421 Cawston Ave, Kelowna, BC
The Kelowna Art Market is a brand new open-air vibrant market, promoting local artists and art groups. The market opens on July 4, 2019 and runs Thursdays from 10am to 3pm and Fridays from 3pm to 8pm; located in the Art Walk, just outside the Rotary Centre for the Arts, Okanagan Regional Library – Downtown Branch, Kelowna Art Gallery and the Innovation Centre…steps from downtown bus loop. Right in the heart of Kelowna Culture District.
Are you passionate about local arts & culture, enthusiastic, and an out-going team oriented person? Are you are self-directed, motivated and comfortable supervising people? Are you eager to grow our art community?
You would be working closely with the Executive Director to coordinate market operations and communications for market days and with our Marketing Coordinator on social media and email newsletters. The total contract hours are estimated to be approx. 30 hours a week; a combination of working from your computer/phone – except for in person meetings, training and market days.
Which youth participants are eligible?
To be eligible, youth must:
- Be between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
*** International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada.
Market Coordinator 2019 – Seasonal Employment
2 positions available
- Day of Market: prepare the market for opening, direct vehicles in/out of plaza, set-up market, supervise volunteers, process transactions, data management and tear-down of market. Throughout the market day, stay in communication with vendors, give them bathroom breaks as needed, keep an eye on tents/weights, mats, stall/tent issues.
- End of Market: survey each vendor (survey created in advance) on the highlights and opportunities of the day. Work with volunteers to clean the site and take down all tents, tables and chairs.
- Tear down market
- Social Media & Marketing: Taking photos for social media posts, posting on various social media platforms to write about the market and participating artists, share other compatible local events etc, write weekly e-newsletters, updating the website with the weekly updates.
- Volunteer recruitment, training & supervision
- Inventory of market equipment
- Financial transactions on market days (if applicable)
- Weekly Market Reports: insights, recommendations, list of all participants etc; vendor mix evaluation and suggestions for further recruitment.
- Market Wrap-up Report
- Additional duties may apply
JOB SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong team leadership and people skills, self-motivated, creative thinker
- Confident supervisory skills
- Physically able to life/move 25 lbs +/- repeatedly (we have a dolly to move things)
- Good computer skills; correspondence, website updates, weekly e-news letters
- Research and data management in Google Docs
- Proficiency with office technology and equipment, including printers, copiers, Google Drive, Google Email, and Slack
- Demonstrated proficiency in written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently, self-motivated, set priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated high degree of flexibility and initiative
- Current First Aid certification
- Multilingual is a bonus but not necessary
EMPLOYMENT DURATION: mid June – end of August 2019
Please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] (your file names must include your name i.e. firstnamelastnameresume.pdf
Only shortlisted listed applicants will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary