Nominations for the 10th Annual Okanagan Arts Awards are now OPEN!
Nominations are being accepted for Awards for Artistic Excellence in 7 disciplines: visual arts, dance, music, theatre, literature, applied art and time-based media. Nominations for Emerging Artist, Innovation in the Arts, Art & Business, Business Supporter of the year and the Community Impact are open for nominations, as well.
Nominations for the 2017 Annual Okanagan Arts Awards are open until January 20th, 2017 and the nomination process is super simple!
Just fill out this form with a few details about the artist that you’re nominating. All you need is the nominee’s name, email, and a web link / url that showcases the nominee’s work.
Nominate an artist in the Central Okanagan for artistic excellence in:
Visual Art: 2D/3D: drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, installation, digital
Dance: performer, performance, choreographer or company
Theatre: producer, director, actor, specific production or company
Music: singing, songwriting, performance (individuals, groups), producer
Literature: prose, verse, fiction, non-fiction, analog/digital
Applied Art: pottery, fashion, jewelry, furniture, industrial design, graphic design, tattoo design, makeup artistry
Time Based Media: video, film, animation, video games, interactive
Emerging Artist: recognition of artists who are early in their career, have produced a high-quality professional work,and demonstrate great potential for future work
Innovation: recognition of artists who push the boundaries of conventional practices in any artistic discipline
Art & Business: recognition of an individual, collective, or organisation that showcases a successful collaborative model for artistic and business excellence
Community Impact: recognition of an artistic endeavour or project that has impacted the whole of the Central Okanagan community
Business Supporter: recognition of a business which excels in their support and stewardship of the arts
For more information on these awards, click here!
All nominees must:
- reside in one of the following Central Okanagan regions*: Peachland, West Kelowna, Westbank First Nation, Kelowna, Lake Country, Central Okanagan East Electoral District and Central Okanagan West Electoral District, unless otherwise specified for individual award. The Arts Council of the Central Okanagan recognizes that these communities are located within the unceded territories of the syilx/Okanagan people
- Central Okanagan East Electoral District is inclusive of: Ellison, Joe Rich, South end of Lakeshore Rd, and Upper Springs Rd
- Central Okanagan West Electoral District is inclusive of: Traders Cove, Fintry, Valley of the Sun, La Casa, Killiney Beach, Westshore Estates, Wilson’s Landing, Brent Rd, Trepanier, and Indian Reserve #9 & 10 of the Westbank First Nation
- production or achievement must have been “released” (exhibition, on website, made public or published) between January 1, 2016 to Dec 31, 2016
1) Public Presentation – work that has been publicly presented and acknowledged by cultural institutions, organizations or other outstanding practitioners (local,regional, national or international)
2) Peer Recognition – attained a level of artistic excellence in their chosen discipline as recognized and acknowledged by other practitioners in that same discipline
3) Community Engagement – how the community and practitioner have previously and/or currently engage with each other – their ideas and their work – as demonstrated by any or all of the following:
- gained local media attention
- favourable peer review
- quoted in other sources and/or by other practitioners
- cultural event attendance
- created learning opportunities, like workshops and lectures
4) Leadership – practitioner is recognized in the community as a leader in their discipline and/or nomination category
5) Extended Reach – how the artistic practitioner is putting the Central Okanagan on the map regionally, nationally and internationally.
The Arts Council of the Central Okanagan reserves the right to not put forth the names of any nominees that do not fulfill this criteria.
Awards will be adjudicated by a committee of previous winners, artistic peers, and prominent community members of the Central Okanagan.
Previous winners may reside outside of the Central Okanagan District.
Artistic peers and prominent community members must be residents of the Central Okanagan.
Jury members are not disclosed in advance of the Okanagan Arts Awards. In the event of a perceived conflict of interest, an alternate will replace the jury member in question. The jury will operate with strict confidentiality. All decisions are final. ARTSCO may screen nominations to verify eligibility.
Honour in the Arts
(not the Okanagan Arts Awards
Did you know that the Arts Council of the Central Okanagan also sponsors two award categories at the City of Kelowna’s Civic Awards?
Nominate someone for:
Honour in the Arts – submit a nomination
- Awarded to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution in Kelowna through cultural and/or artistic efforts.
Teen Honour in the Arts – submit a nomination
- Awarded to a youth who has made an outstanding contribution in Kelowna through cultural and/or artistic efforts.
- Nominees must be between the ages of 13 and 19 as of Dec. 31, 2016.